Thursday, August 27, 2009

Poem by Committee Member Nancy Carey

Late Thoughts on
an August Afternoon
 
I don’t want to fall
down the steps
to the sea
where the bleached
bones
of the sailors lie
beyond all touch.
I want to ride
the school of fish
buried in the swell
watch a crab crawl
from a water cave
feel barnacled pebbles
that shift my feet
and algae bloom
on pimpled rocks.
I want to find
the teal blue ocean-glass
sea-blown onto sand
jagged edges smoothed
by salt wave weather tide.
And if aging beauties
hold the treasured necklace
to their throats
on this spit of land
under the newborn sun
seaweed woven
in their dying hair
they simply want to dream
of rage and time
before the bony
sailors come.

1 comment:

  1. I like the images in this poem, and the way they carry us along with the still-powerful energy of aging.

    Jean

    ReplyDelete